Obesity is a health risk that affects men as much as it affects women. Even though women are usually more concerned about their weight problems, men also tend to be insecure about their weight especially with obesity in men on the rise. The increase in the number of overweight and obese men in the world can be attributed to several factors.
The leading cause being stress. Many men are faced with a lot of pressure from work and family responsibilities and most of them do not know how to deal with these stressful situations. Just like women who deal with issues of stress and insecurities, men may find solace in food. During this period, they tend to lean more on fast foods which have been proven to be very unhealthy for the human body due to their high levels of fat. People tend to view fast foods as ‘comfort foods’ when they are feeling low and their overconsumption will definitely lead to obesity.
Obesity is bound to cause some serious health problems such as heart disease, infertility and type 2 diabetes. Even the risk of prostate cancer is higher in men who are overweight and obese. Men who are obese should look for a proper way of cutting the weight. Weight loss can be achieved by adopting a healthier lifestyle through the following ways:
1. Exercising- Regular exercise is essential for weight loss and maintaining weight loss. It helps increase the body metabolism and also burning excess calories. It helps improve the overall functioning of the body.
2. Cutting off junk foods- They contain a lot of fats and calories which are not needed by the body.
3. Dieting- This method is highly encouraged in men. A good nutrition plan will provide your body with the amount it needs to maintain overall help. The nutrition plan can be set by a nutritionist or a physician.
4. Portioning- This is regulating the amount of food you take. Only eat as much food as your body needs.
5. Set up a proper weight loss goal- Set goals which are realistic and easier for you to achieve. You can also reward yourself when you achieve a specific milestone by having a ‘cheat day’ where you are allowed to eat some of your comfort foods.
6. Forming a support system- This journey is not easy and you may need a support system to help you. This may include family, friends, spouses or even joining support groups for overweight and obese people. The support system will help keep you in check on your road to weight loss and keep you from falling back into old patterns.
It is essential for everyone to live a healthy lifestyle so as to avoid some risks to our health. Good health is about understanding what your body needs and how best to achieve it. Anyone who is battling with weight problems or obesity is advised to visit a physician or health care provider so as to find a suitable way of dealing with the problem.